This Friday our musical guest is Rosanonymous! Are you excited? We are!!! Want to learn more about her? Read this interview below and don’t miss her feature this Friday with poetry by Cam Akward-Rich!!
1. What is your favorite song? What are you listening to right now?
Super Rich Kids by Frank Ocean.
2. Name a local musician you admire, or have learned a lot from?
I am constantly inspired by the incredible creativity and sheer brilliance of the local queer/qpoc scene. That said, bands that I feel I’ve really learned something from: Ragana, Moira Scar, Thunder Thighs, Annah Anti-Palindrome, Street Eaters
3. When did you decide to be a musician, what made you decide that?
I decided in 6th grade to take Percussion at school because my Spanish class was below my level and I knew a drummer in elementary school who I thought was cool. That was the start…. As far as my decision to make my music a central thing, I think it was a gradual thing, starting when I began writing songs.
4. Who would you go on an adventure with, Storm from the X-Men or Thor from the Avengers?
Storm obviously. We probably have a lot of the same music taste.
5. Favorite ice cream spot?
The Dollar ice cream place in downtown Berkeley.
6. What do your parents think of you being an artist? Supportive? Not supportive?
My parents are super supportive. Me and my dad have the same music taste more or less, and my mom sings too, so I can connect with both of them through music.
7. What musician in your opinion should we be listening to right now!?
I think everyone queer (and for that matter everyone else) should get into the queer hip hop movement – Mykki Blanco, Angel Haze, Le1f, Azealia Banks, so much more. They fucking rock my world.
8. What’s wrong with the art world today?
The shit that is popular is not the shit that should be popular, and that seems to break down so much along racial lines.
9. Favorite junk food?
When I’m sick I have top ramen for breakfast. It’s really comforting.
10. How do you get in the mood, when you write a song? Do you have any rituals? Favorite writing blanket? Superstitions?
Usually most of my writing happens when I should be doing other things – when I have homework due, or at 3am, things like that. It often starts when I think of a certain phrase or metaphor, and then I’ll build a song around that.
11. Favorite show right now? Game of Thrones? Teen Wolf?
The only current show I’m watching is Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
12. Celebrity crush, name two, DO IT!
Kirsten Stewart, who needs to come out already goddamn it.
13. Favorite joke?
They’re all light-bulb ones stolen from Roman Rimer
Q: How many cis people does it take to change a lightbulb?
A: I don’t know, but they keep asking me how does the light bulb know if it really wants to change? and meanwhile it’s FUCKING DARK IN HERE!
14. What is your next big artistic project?
Hopefully actually starting a band and going on tour together.
15. Unicorns or Dragons?
This is gonna sound anti-gay of me but dragons are so much cooler than unicorns. Also I think we should start incorporating the phrase “Trans Dragons” into everyday speech, because honestly, what’s cooler than Trans Dragons?
Queer Open Mic Featuring CAM AWKWARD-RICH and ROSANONYMOUS!
Friday, May 23rd
7pm sign-ups, show at 7:30
Modern Times Bookstore
2919 24th Street in San Francisco!